Carson is recovering from his second cold ever. While at the time it seemed like the scariest thing we have ever been through, his first cold was a breeze compared to this one. Carson got sick for the first time when he was only 7 weeks old. It was New Years Eve when he was exposed to me and his cousin who were carrying the bug (after celebrating all the holidays with his 9 cousins, it was only a matter of time I suppose!). It lasted a week at most and only took one doctor visit before he was all better. If only that could have been the case this time...
It is no secret that babies that go to daycare will get colds more often. The best defense I can provide him with is mother's milk. Studies show that breastfed babies get sick less often than formula fed babies. They get fewer colds, fewer ear infections, fewer respiratory allergies, etc. The key word here is "fewer." My breast milk does not have super powers. When combined with all the other babies at daycare, a cold was bound to occur. Carson was congested for almost 2 weeks before it took a turn for the worst. The fires and smoke rolled through Jacksonville and that's when it got bad. His little bout of congestion turned ugly with an added cough and eventually red eyes. I took him in to the pediatrician thinking he got a sinus infection. I was shocked to hear that it was an ear infection. He was put on antibiotics to fight off the infection and we were sent on our way. Within a couple days he started to seem better! A week later with 4 more days to go on his antibiotic, he took another bad turn and got a fever. We took him back to the doctor who examined him and said his infection was gone but the fluid was still in his ear and causing the fevers. After 4 days of playing a yo-yo game with the fevers, they finally ended. He still has a tiny cough and a lot of congestion at night but we can tell he is recovering.
We've learned a lot from this cold.
#1: I hate antibiotics. Carson's poor tummy was suffering just as much as his ear was. Next time I am requesting a different one or trying an alternative method. I have done a lot of reading about the medicine and am not convinced it was the best for him.
#2: I love the ladies at his daycare. They also were extremely supportive and caring when I would call once a day to check on him (they allowed him to come back once the doctor said he was not contagious).
#3: I love Vick's baby rub, cool mist humidifiers, infants Tylenol, booger suckers (what we like to call them), saline spray. And now, infant probiotics and vitamin c tablets.
#4: It may have produced a 19 pound 5 month old, but my breast milk does not have super powers; Carson will get sick. :(

No comments:
Post a Comment