My mom and dad are in Wichita, Kansas this weekend for a 4 day reunion celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Operation Pedro Pan. In 1961, my dad was 10 and came to the United States without his parents to live in Mariana Boys Home in Wichita. It is still such a fascinating story to me, and even more so now that we are expecting. I couldn't imagine letting my little boy go even knowing he would have a better future. If it wasn't for the sacrifices he and my grandparents made 50 years ago, my brothers and I wouldn't be here. I can't go on without giving credit to my mom! After meeting in high school, she has been his biggest cheerleader throughout the years.
Here is an article explaining the weekend. I am sure there will be more to come since this was only written on day 1 of the reunion, so check back for more article postings! My dad is speaking at a big event tonight. Good luck dad!
http://www.kansas.com/2011/06/24/1906168/1960s-child-refugees-revisit-wichita.html
New Article and Video. My dad is featured at the end!
http://www.kake.com/findit/fridayheadlines/Cuban_Refugees_Reunite_After_50_Years_124515629.html

No comments:
Post a Comment