July 23, 2011

Under Construction!

23 weeks pregnant :-)
This week I took a trip to Americus, GA to see the project I have been working on for the past couple years, Phoebe Sumter Medical Center. It is currently under construction and the ribbon cutting is scheduled for December 10th (Hopefully Billy, the baby, and I can make it!). You can see some of the original renderings here. It is fun to compare our computer renderings to the actual built space. I will keep posting some pictures as I visit. Enjoy!

The project includes 5 floors. The first floor and second floor are closer to completion then the others. There were 5 interior designers that worked on the design of the entire hospital in a collaborative effort. I was tasked with the construction administration portion of the work. This means I work closely with the contractor answering RFI's and Submittals, and now, attempting to make regular site visits to make sure our drawings are being followed and answering any questions they might have. Because I have to stop traveling in October, I am hoping to get as many trips in as possible! As hard as it is to travel being pregnant, being on site is so rewarding. This is my favorite part of the design phase; watching your creations being built and learning about the construction process!

These two images are of the main lobby. The first image is what you see when you first walk into the hospital at the main entrance. You can see what the final product will look like in the rendering I posted on the previous blog (link above). These pictures were taken on Tuesday when the flooring prep work was complete and waiting for the first pour of terrazzo. 

This picture was taken on day 2 of my site visit. The subcontractor was pouring and troweling the first phase of the terrazzo. It is incredible how much labor goes into this type of flooring! The benefit is it lasts a lifetime! 


This is what the flooring pattern in the lobby will look like once complete. This picture was taken in the dining room where the terrazzo flooring is complete!! It looked BEAUTIFUL! I couldn't get an overall picture because most of the floor is covered up and being protected for now. Creating the perfect terrazzo colors and mix was a whole task within itself. I worked closely with the representative, played with some rock and glass chips, selected our colors to mix with them, then custom ordered many many samples. We then presented options to the owner, and this is the final product!

The railing around the 2nd floor of the atrium is almost complete. They still need to paint it and add the walnut stained wood cap. I custom designed this railing specifically for this project. It ties in the floor pattern nicely. Another thing I can't wait to see complete! 

Surgery waiting on the 2nd floor. Carolyn did a great job with this design!

An example of what the nurse stations will look like throughout.
Just missing the pendants and a few other touches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
What started as a way to update our families on Carson and our little family, has turned into a diary of memories that will be added to Carson's baby book. Memories that we will be able to look back on and laugh at in the future!